Wednesday 28 August 2019

The Roma Pass Versus the OMNIA Card Neither are Worth It

Rome’s major sites (the Vatican, the Coliseum, the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain etc) are within walking distance of each other. Why purchase a Roma Pass or the OMNIA Card?
I had already booked my excursions online, which makes these cards redundant. Coop Culture and booking direct from the Vatican Museums and the Coliseum gave good prices.



Disadvantage of Rome’s City Pass and Omnia Card

Still, here is a quick guide to Rome’s City Cards.
There are two types of city cards available for visiting Rome: The Roma Pass and the Omnia Card. The Omnia Pass comes with a free guidebook and map but has a limit on how many attractions you can visit. The Vatican isn’t included. The Roma Pass includes the Vatican.

In both cases, you get to skip the queue. Figuring out which to use is down to which sights you want to visit.
The downside of these cards is that once it is activated, you have to use it for successive days. I had booked my holiday in mid-August, when a festival called the Ferrogosto occurs (15 August). Shops and public services apparently go quiet that day, for the Romans go away during this time. This meant that one day on the City Card could be wasted.
Another drawback was that neither card includes transport to either of the Rome airports: Fiumicino or Ciampino airports. Return taxi for me cost over 100 Euros.
The Roma pass offers no discounts for children.

Another consideration is whether to use the public transport or not. I like to walk. As Rome’s main tourist attractions are within walking distance of each other, I didn’t think I would need a city card.

I had looked for a hotel that was within walking distance of Rome, but the area was grotty and I had to get a bus pass anyway. I got neither city cards but a regular ATAC bus pass from the Ostiense Metro Station. It was really run down. There was no one in the kiosk and I had to ask a nearby stallholder to help. Thankfully, he was honest and helpful. Each card cost me 24 Euros for 7 days.

Read the truth about Rome’s public transport and more on the following link. It is nothing like what I was led to believe in travel blogs and agents.


Use Rome's ATAC Busses for a Fraction of the Price of the City Pass
Rome's ATAC Bus Tickets are cheaper than the City Card
ATAC Bus Tickets