Wednesday 28 August 2019

Rome ATAC Bus Service is it Any Good?

You can get the OMNIA or ROMA city pass to get money off tourist attractions such as the Coliseum and the Vatican, but both passes have drawbacks. Firstly, they have to be used in consecutive days once activated. This isn’t good if your holiday straddles a weekend or public holiday such as the Ferrogusta (read about the Ferrogosto here).
Another is that some of the sights aren’t included on the pass. The Roma pass, for instance doesn’t include the Vatican and neither include Rome’s airports (FCO and Ciampino).
With this in mind, I decided to book my excursions online and save money.
And as most of Rome’s tourist attractions are within walking distance, I wanted to do away with using the bus.


So I tried to avoid getting either city passes. What I didn’t realize was that, even outside of Rome Central; the roads were unpleasant places on which to walk. There was hardly path, dirty, hot in the day and dodgy after dark. It seemed I had to get a bus pass simply to get to and from my hotel. As I was stopping a week, I got a regular ATAC bus pass for myself and children.
This is what I learned about Rome’s ATAC busses.

The Truth About Rome’s Busses

I got my bus pass in a bus station in Ostiense. The booth was empty and I was faced with a derelict ticket machine into which I had to feed paper Euros. It was horrible. A nearby shopkeeper had to help me.
In the 10 days that I stopped in Rome, no one checked our tickets. The bus drivers sit in their glass cocoon and they seldom speak English. They simply drive and stop when the bell rings.
There are ticket machines on the bus where you get your tickets stamped, but I have seldom seen anyone use them. People simply hop on and off the bus.
It is easy to use the ATAC bus and not pay a penny. No one checks if you have a ticket and no one seems to care.
As my son had lost his passport, we had to stop longer than the week planned. We got fresh tickets for the extra days we needed but we needn’t have. No one was there to check our tickets and I’m sure others do the same.
That said, the ATAC busses run frequently and the chief terminals have display boards that announce when the next bus is due. I found this useful.
Still, the busses often were crammed and sometimes with no air conditioning. Graffiti was scrawled over the terminals and the officials often couldn’t speak English. It seemed apparent that Rome considered funding inspectors as worthy as cleaning the graffiti from the streets.

Lessons learnt
You may have to use the busses in Rome no matter what. The roads are busy, dangerous and dodgy in the dark.
The ATAC busses don’t seem to have inspectors or regulations in force. Rome is littered with graffiti-ridden empty kiosks and the stations are drab.
Offices close early and there is seldom anyone to ask for help. It seemed apparent that if a city is littered with abandoned kiosks, funding is short. Inspectors cost.

Read all my articles on Rome on Rome a Survival Kit

Bus Station in Piazza Venezia
An ATAC Bus Station in Rome
Bus timetable announcement