Thursday 29 August 2019

My Experience with the Roman Police and Ostiense

My son lost his passport on the bus and went to the police. After my experience with them, I was left with a terrible impression. Here’s why.
I found my son forlorn in the Police Station at the Piazza del Collegio in Rome.
The police spent an age filing a simple report. In Britain, the report would have been done in a jiffy.
The report was on scrap paper and in Italian. This police report was my only means of communicating my problem, as most of the officers couldn’t speak English.


However, one officer spoke decent English. She told us that my son’s bag had been taken to ‘lost property’ by the bus driver who found it. When I asked where this lost property office was, I was simply told, ‘ask anyone. It’s in the main terminal station.’ I wanted the address, but she never gave one. I therefore assumed there was a big lost property office in the central bus station in Rome.
We went to the Termini but there was no lost property there.

I eventually found out from a small ticket booth at the other end of the station that the lost property for Rome was in a grotty little station outside of Rome called Ostiense. It had by then closed. It was 1pm on Friday.
The lost property office in Ostiense is not in the Termini as I thought, but happened to be a 20 minute walk from our hotel. The horrid little place was shut until Monday so we had to wait. When it eventually opened, the police officer looked at me with disdain and announced, ‘no bag here!’ She didn’t even pick up the phone or make an effort to help. There seems to be a lack of communication between the police offices in Rome. They simply don’t seem to speak to each other.

I returned to the Piazza del Collegio police station and was met with a fat Italian smoking a cigar in the foyer. He couldn’t speak English so I showed him a copy of the police report. He spent ages reading this report which was in his own language.
He led us into the station upstairs and we were met with the same lack of listening skills as before. No one checked their computer for our earlier report and no one picked up the phone to call Ostiense. I was then given an ad-hoc form to give to the embassy as though a fresh report. I kept telling them I had already reported the missing bag, but no one listened.
I never found out where this ‘lost property’ office was from the police. My son was by then greatly distressed.

I returned every morning to Ostiense to be met with the same ‘no bag here!’ I flew home without our bag.
I have since barred my son’s phone and debit card, neither of which has shown activity. I suspect they languish somewhere in a Roman storage place waiting to be claimed. I firmly believe they have not been stolen.
Whenever I see a Polizzio car. I consider myself lucky that the British police are more advanced than the Romans.

Lesson learnt
Don’t assume the Roman police have the efficiency of the British Police. Their resources and training appear lacking.
Lack of funding equals early office closures and basic resources.
Look after yourself. Don’t assume anyone in a big city will, even an official.
Read all my articles on Rome on my Rome a Survival Kit

Police Station in the Piazza del Collegio
The Termini Rome: no lost property to be found
The grubby Ostiense in Rome
Poor funding equals deserted  kiosks in Rome