Wednesday 28 August 2019

If You Lose Your Passport in Rome: what to Do

My son lost his passport and valuables in a bag on the bus in Rome. It was horrible but I learned a lot. After panic mode, I took the following emergency steps to get myself and my children home as soon as possible.
You can read how I got the emergency passport from the consulate here. But other considerations need attention. This forms the focus of this article.



1 Go straight to the Police. In my case, I had been told it had been handed to lost property. It is pointless applying for an emergency passport if the original passport has been found somewhere.

2 We discovered the lost property in Rome is a small office in Ostiense. Fortunately, Ostiense was just round the corner from the hotel. The busses 160, 130 and 30 go near Ostiense.

3 Sadly, Rome’s public services are poorly-funded and offices close early. Ostiense office closes on Friday at 1pm, not to open until Monday. (My son had lost his passport on Friday morning) so we couldn’t do anything until Monday.

4 Telephone the British Embassy in London (the one in Rome has early closures). They told me to go on the Gov.uk site to begin procedures for an emergency passport. The emergency passport costs £100. The lost passport would instantly be void. The embassy advised me to wait until Monday to see if passport turns up. The contact details of the consulates are given at the bottom of this article.

5 I informed my scheduled taxi to the airport of the possible delay and to wait until my next call before coming to the hotel to take us to the airport.

6 I informed my flight operator of the lost passport. In my case, it was EasyJet. In some cases, they can offer a cheap alternative flight so long as I booked it before I had missed my scheduled flight. Sadly, I couldn’t be sure when to book my later flight, for I didn’t know if the passport would turn up at Ostiense.

7 I rang my bank to inform them of certain funds coming out of my account. In my case, I had to speak to Fraud Office because my card ceased to work. This was because the bank had been alerted of irregular spending activity due to the emergency. Once I had spoken to them, I ensured my card was unblocked for a longer period abroad than was planned.

8 I made plans with the hotel to stay a few days longer. I ensured I had enough funds available. In Rome, make allowances for city tax, which is 6 Euros per person per night.

9 I put a stop on my son’s bank card card and his phone.

10 I made plans that evening for what to do if: a) the passport was lost and b) what to do if the passport was found. To make things easier, I wrote all the phone numbers, addresses and details of the agents involved in my lost passport. I kept these notes with me at all times. I could then go to bed and forget about it.

11 Sadly, my son’s passport was not at the Ostiense on Monday. I followed my plans for a) the passport was lost. I had already made the list, so it was easy to follow.

12 As advised by the British Embassy, I went onto the Gov.uk website and clicked on the etd link (Emergency Travel document). The forms are straightforward (read full instructions on getting an emergency passport on my other article). Happily, I didn’t need photocopies of the lost passport, only my son’s passport number and issue date were needed. I had kept a record of these on a separate sheet of paper. Don’t worry if you do not have these to hand, the embassy will assist.

13 Once the emergency travel application is complete, you will get a notification email within 2 working days. In my case, my emergency passport will be ready by either Tuesday or Wednesday. You can ring the embassy for updates.

On Tuesday, I was notified my emergency passport was ready to pick up from the Ambassador Britannia in Rome.

14 The Ambassador Britannica in Rome is in Via XX Settembre 80a - 00187 Roma. This is walke-able from Rome centre. But I had to get there before 3 pm when it closes. You go into a booth where an official takes your belongings and puts them in a locker. You then go up into an office where my son was given the emergency travel document.

The emergency passport is beige-coloured rather than burgundy and you can only use it once. It is then taken off you at your destination country.

15 Once I had the emergency travel document, I was able to book the flight. Sadly, I was unable to honour EasyJet’s cheap flight offer, so I had to pay full price. I then rang the taxi company to inform them of when I will need to get to the airport. The hotel was kind enough to let me print the boarding passes.

16 I had to bar my son’s phone and his bank card, as both were in his bag.

Standard travel insurance will cover the cost of replacing a lost passport and in some cases, the payment of flight and extra nights in a hotel. Check the small print.

Here are the details of the Embassies I contacted.
British Embassy (Rome)
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Rome)
Consular Assistance
Phone (+39) 0642202431

Foreign and Commonwealth Office (England)
King Charles Street
London SW1A 2AH
Tel (+44) 2070081500

All in all, a horrible experience, but I learned a lot and wish to share.

Read all my articles on Rome on my Rome a Survival Kit


Lost property office in Rome
The emergency passport
Notice on the lost property office in Ostiense
British Embassy in Rome