Thursday 29 August 2019

How I Visited the Vatican in Shorts and Minus a Passport

On the morning we were due to visit the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel, my son lost his passport on an ATAC bus in Rome. In seconds, he had no passport and no trousers to wear for the Vatican. We had also missed our time slot.
Read my other article on what happened after my son had lost his passport. This article’s focus is on how I managed to see the Vatican against the odds.


I believed the Vatican demanded a passport and appropriate clothing. My son’s trousers and his passport were in his bag. Being mid-August, it was boiling and he was wearing shorts. We spent the next few hours filing a police report at the Piazza del Collegio Police Station. By the time the report was complete, we had missed our slot to see the Vatican. I had booked the excursion direct from the Vatican website. I wanted to skip the queue, have a guide and earphones. We were due to fly back in two days’ time.
It was about 4 pm by the time we had reached St Peter’s Square. My children were fraught, hot and tired. I didn’t fancy my chances of getting in.

Still, I had a go.

I had a copy of the receipt from the Vatican Website and made my way to the Information Center next to the Vatican Post Office. The crowds were humongous but miraculously, I was able to speak to someone behind the counter.
I showed him the paperwork and explained (very humbly) that my son had lost his passport this morning. I hadn’t been able to visit the Vatican at the slot arranged.
He was brilliant. He made some phone calls and arranged a later slot for me. Our visit was to be at 7.30 pm that evening. He also provided his colleagues’ names. He said so long as my son’s parent has a passport, he will be able to enter.
Still concerned, I explained that my son has no trousers, only shorts. The man smiled and said, it’s ok to wear shorts so long as they’re not thigh-high.
I couldn’t believe my luck. I thought you needed cover-wear to enter the Vatican and a passport. In fact, you don’t need a passport at all. And in the queue, I saw lots of tourists wearing Bermuda shorts. It seems times have changed.
I returned to the children and they were thrilled with the news. We milled around for a few hours and had a snack. By 7.30 pm, we were in the queue. I name-dropped at the doors and the usher let us in. No one looked at my passport or cared my son’s shorts.

Read about my visit to the Vatican in my next article.

Lesson Learnt
The Vatican’s rules seem to have slackened. You can wear shorts so long as they are not too short.
You don’t need a passport to visit the Vatican.
Don’t give up.
You are not allowed to take photos of the Vatican Post Office (I got told off).

Read all my articles on Rome on my Rome a Survival Kit


My Booking with Vatican plus headphones
Directions to the Vatican Entrance
Tickets to see Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel
Doorway to the Vatican
The Vatican at Night