Wednesday 28 August 2019

How to Get an Emergency Passport Abroad

My son lost his passport in Rome. After panic mode and reporting it to the police, I had to get an emergency travel document to get us home. My other article lists other emergency measures to take when losing your passport.
But in order to get an ETD, this is what I did.

Take a photo of the person who has lost his or her passport. Like a regular passport, you will need a head and shoulder view, neutral background, no shadows and nothing on the face. I managed to take an acceptable photograph with my camera phone.

Go onto the gov.uk site and look for the ‘emergency travel document’ link. If you can’t find it, put 'emergency travel document’ on the search bar and it will come up.

You will need your passport number and issue date to hand. Fortunately, I had written them on a separate sheet of paper.

You will also need the itinerary of your journey. Your destination can be reached via up to via 5 countries. Ensure your destination country is named on the Emergency Travel Document.

You will be taken onto an ‘apply now’ page as shown by the screenshots at the end of this article.

Make sure you have everything you need, for no activity for 20 minutes means you will have to start again.

You can apply for yourself or on someone else’s behalf. As my son was over 16, he filled it in himself but with my guidance.

The following pages are pretty self-explanatory, asking for your name, address, date of birth, country of destination etc, as can be seen from the images.

You will have to upload the passport photo and pay £100 for the document.

As soon as the application is complete, the missing passport will be void.

You will now have to wait 2 working days for the emergency travel document to be ready. Look for a notification email.

I had the email within two working days, but the consulate in Rome closes at 3pm so I had to make sure I was there in time.

In the booth, my personal belongings were put in a locker and I was shown into an office upstairs. I was then given my son’s emergency passport. He was asked to sign it. I was then able to book a flight home once at the hotel.

Note: your emergency travel document is valid only for one journey. It will be taken from you at your destination country. It can only be used within a specified time. I took photos of the travel document before the journey, for travel insurance purposes.

For more guidance, check www.fco.gov.uk/travel.
Read my other articles on Rome on my Rome a Survival Kit



Pages from the Gov site
The emergency passport
How to sign the ETD
Information leaflet on getting an ETD
Gates to the British Embassy in Rome