Tuesday 22 December 2015

Does the Candida Diet Really Work? Candida Diary Day Four

On this fourth day on the Candida diet I have to remind myself, I used to munch through 1 to 2 packets of cookies per day. Yes, I was a fiend for the chocolate chip cookie and the cups of (albeit green) tea. Green tea is great, but cannot not detox a load of biscuits! So little surprise, I am still feeling tired this morning and a little nauseous. However, do get tired easily after doing tasks.

Nausea on Sugar Withdrawal

The main feature today is nausea, which is slightly worse than yesterday. I am belching a lot and feeling bloated. I also have a dull, mid abdominal pain. I am hoping it is the sugar withdrawal and not some virus I picked up.

I am sticking with the acidophilus twice a day with breakfast and evening meal. All meals continue to be low carb, high protein/fibre. For breakfast, I had plain Greek yogurt with desiccated coconut and flaxseed. (I had left the mixture overnight to soften). For tea, I had salmon with side salad. I skipped lunch as my appetite was off.

Auto Brewery Syndrome

I read somewhere that the Candida’s toxins are alcohol-based, putting the person in a state of perpetual low-level hangover. That is exactly how I used to feel around periods and odd days without drinking alcohol at all. The toxins that the yeast exudes are complex and many, including are acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is also produced during Candida die-off and during hangovers. Disruption to the Candida can come in tandem with fluctuations in the woman’s hormone changes, bringing on die-off symptoms. Just like a hangover.

Candida Loves Alcohol
All my life, I have suffered menstrual migraines with yellow skin, dizziness, sensitivity to light, feeling sick and terribly ill. It was just like a hangover. Was I suffering a hangover every cycle? Was this auto brewery syndrome?

At the moment, I am still experiencing odd itching around the ears and private area. My eyes are dry and my stomach isn’t happy.

Stevia for Candida

This wasn’t a full blown die off as such, I felt so icky at one point, I tried hot water with a few drops of lemon juice, sweetened with a little Stevia. Stevia by the way is a sweet-tasting herb that has been dried and milled. It looks and tastes like sugar but doesn’t leave that coated feeling on your teeth like sugar does. It leaves your mouth feeling ‘clean’, so you know it’s not sugar. It eased the nausea a little, only for it to return later.

I like Stevia but you have to experiment with different recipes, as it will not sweeten things in quite the same way as sugar. I also have Xylitol, another low carb sweetener that is ideal for the Candida diet. They aren’t cheap, but can be made to last ages when used properly. With this in mind, I experimented with another flat bread recipe.

Sweet Buckwheat Bread for Candida Albicans

As Besam flour has a bitter taste (it comes from the chickpea) I did not feel it would work for a sweet flatbread. Here, I tried Buckwheat. I am really getting a taste for flatbreads, as they are easy to make and tasty. Buckwheat in fact is fact not a grain, but ground seed that is related to the rhubarb.

Buckwheat is free from wheat and gluten and contains complex carbs. It is a little higher on the GI index than Besam flour, being around 70% carb, but is high in protein and fibre. With the introduction of flaxseed and desiccated coconut, the resultant flatbread can be made lower on the GI index.

Here I added a little finely-ground desiccated coconut (not coconut flour, as it is terribly expensive) to the buckwheat flour. I added a little coconut milk to the water. The result was that the flatbread fell apart a bit. Guessing the coconut element has nothing for the mixture to stick together. It didn’t taste too bad though.

With this in mind, I had to jig the recipe until I came to the ideal following formula.
Buckwheat Flatbread

Recipe for Buckwheat Coconut Bread

2 cups (8oz) buckwheat flour
2 tbsp of flaxseed meal
1 tbsp finely ground desiccated coconut
½ teaspoon of stevia
A little coconut milk
A little olive oil or coconut oil for frying

Mix the dry ingredients together.
Add the wet ingredients until the dough has a sticky consistency. Knead into a soft dough.
Allow the dough to sit for 30 mins.
Divide into dough balls
Roll out into circles. Add a little more flour to prevent sticking whilst rolling.
Fry on heated oil in a saucepan for 2 mins on each side.
Before turning, add a little oil to the dry side.
Agitating is the key to cooking flatbreads to stop them sticking to the pan.

Serve with hot butter or a sprinkling of Stevia to taste.
Nice with a cup of lemon green tea, as the Buckwheat is quite dry.

Suitable for freezing.

So will this satisfy me like the old chocolate chip cookie? Well, it won’t taste the same, but my taste buds are changing. Sweet stuff don’t appeal like it used to. For now, the symptoms persist, but will wait.