Friday 30 August 2019

The Church of San Marcello al Corso, Rome

This church is set back from the Via del Corso in the Piazza San Marcello.
A lovely intimate church, with beautiful artwork, this titular church was dedicated to Pope Marcellus I. It is said that Pope Marcellus I was imprisoned on the site.


A titular church by the way is a Roman church ascribed to a cardinal or priest. Often these churches were named after the owner or donor appointed by the church. Before Christianity was legalised in Rome, these churches were private buildings. The church was destroyed by fire in 1519.
Admire the reliefs and paintings by artists including Cavallini, Ferrata, Raggi, Ricci, De Rossi and others.
When I visited this church, a concert was to be held that evening. I wished I could have seen it.

Other Roman churches to visit

Altar of San Marcello in Rome

Crucifix in San Marcello al Corso, Rome

Facade of the Church of San Marcello

Looking towards the altar of San Marcello