Tuesday 2 February 2016

My Candida Diary Experiment Day Thirty: I can Taste My Food Again

There is a lot on the Net about candida and how you can get rid of this beastly yeast overgrowth in the gut. Apparently, candida albicans is caused by a high sugar diet, stress and junk food. According to anecdotal claims, candida can be controlled by a low carbohydrate diet, antifungals and a course of probiotics.

Through my life, I have vague, and sometime debilitating symptoms that affected my life: fatigue, bloating, hair loss, dry eyes, itchy skin, depression and more. Read about this on my post on why I began the candida diet.

A Healthier Diet

Plenty of Veg on Candida Diet
During my journey, I have discovered that coconut oil, garlic and oregano oil can be used as antifungals and have incorporated them into my diet. I have also cut all grains except for porridge and quinoa. All sweets, biscuits, bread and junk food have literally gone out of the window. Instead, I have introduced green smoothies, vegetables and more protein into my diet.

To date, I have stuck to the anti candida diet for 30 days.

Results of the Candida Diet

I am still yet to be convinced that this diet will get rid of the yeast, although there have been some changes in my health. For starters, I can taste my food better than I could before. Losing your sense of taste can come on subtly and gradually. This happened to me last year when I noticed I could not taste my food like I used to.

Oral thrush is a symptom of candida overgrowth, where a white coating can be seen on the tongue. This coating has cleared overall but seems to recur now and then, on certain days. On day 30, the tongue appears quite clear – or definitely better than on day 1. At the moment, I am on day 15 of taking oregano oil, which is supposed to be an effective antifungal against candida.

I am told that oregano oil kills the good bacteria as well as the bad. However, other sources recommend I continue with the probiotics. I take my probiotics in the evenings, and the oregano oil in the morning. This keeps the 2 apart.

Can Candida Affect Your Sense of Taste and Smell?

Oral Thrush Clearing
Another thing I have noticed is that I am not sneezing as much as I used to. In the last few years, a fit of sneezing would come on regardless of time of year or location. I don’t have pets and there are no smokers in the household. To my knowledge, I am not allergic to pollen nor am I asthmatic. The sneezing would come on without warning and for no apparent reason.  However, it seems to get worse in the evenings.

Accompanied with the sneezing would be runny eyes and snuffly nose. It would feel as though I have a cold, but I don’t have a cold. Only my sinuses are involved. At one point, the problem made my life a misery. I thought I was perhaps allergic to house dust. But no amount of cleaning, dusting or hovering made a difference. I also tried buying houseplants, thinking they would help ionise the air. I also have an ioniser. None of these measures really worked.

Candida and the Time of the Month

Although the problem causes my eyes to run, they are often dry and uncomfortable, especially at night. They would look red or appear puffy in the mornings.

On day 30, m eyes are not so dry at the moment, but the dryness often eases at second half of the menstrual cycle. It is thought that a rise in progesterone affects energy levels, mood and food cravings. In my experience, my eyes always get dry after menstruating, which is very frustrating. Time will tell if the dryness returns later in the week.

In all, my health has shown some improvements, but other remains the same. One problem is my itchy skin especially around the ears, back and privates. It always worsens at night. The patches of hair loss that occurred last March have yet to grow back despite taking biotin supplements in ‘Hair Skin and Nails’. In all, I remain sceptical.

More Articles on Candida Albicans