Wednesday 28 August 2019

Rome: the Hotel is Not Walking Distance from Roma Central

I wanted to avoid using public transport in Rome, as the tourist attractions are within walking distance of each another. I had already read that Rome is best explored on foot anyway. I therefore looked for a hotel close to the city.
Prices of hotels within Rome will rise the nearer to the center you are. But I was ok with 1 or 2 kilometres or so which meant cheaper prices.
I searched Trivago, Expedia and TripAdviser and found a hotel that declared it was within 2 kilometres of Central Rome’s border. I looked at the map, and it was just a straight road.
The hotel looked modern, clean and spacious with air conditioning, crucial for Rome in mid-August.


I went for a modern hotel in the Colombo district. I looked at the map and it seemed I only had to walk a little way to get to the Caracalla Baths, not far from the Coliseum. The major sights of Rome are all within walking distance of the Coliseum.

Read my other articles on Rome a Survival Kit

Is the walk from the hotel safe?

On the Expedia site, it said:

‘This hotel is within 1 mile (2km) of Roma Tre University and the Baths of Caraculla. Basillica of St Paul’s and the Coliseum are also within 2 miles (3km) (of the hotel).’ I’m ok with walking because I often go on walking holidays and the map showed green areas and quiet roads to get there.

Little did I realize I could not walk to Rome from my hotel, for the district was really run down. The road leading to Rome was very busy with no usable walkway. In a word, it was horrible and felt dangerous.

The hotel was close to Rome central but I still had to get a bus

No way could I walk from my hotel to Rome. We had no choice but to get bus passes on the day we arrived despite my plans not to use public transport.

As I had already booked some excursion online, purchasing the OMNIA or ROMA Pass was pointless. These passes work only if you throw in the excursions.

Lesson learnt:
Be careful if the description of the hotel insinuates it is walking distance from the major attractions of the city. The walking route could be dangerous, dodgy or un-walkable.
Make allowances for getting a bus pass when visiting a big city, even if the sites are within walking distance.
Check out Google images or reviews to get a true indication of the area.


Busy Roads in Rome with little walkway
Rundown areas of Rome