Wednesday 28 August 2019

Rome: How to Handle the Heat in August

I went to Rome with my children in mid August because of the school holidays. I knew the place would be crowded and hot, but I went with it because I wanted to take them somewhere special.
Every day, the temperatures soared above 30 degrees.
Rome is carved from stone. The monuments are like storage heaters and the body feels like it is in a physio-therm. Thank god for my sun cream, hat and sunglasses. But the air was so dry and hot my daughter had nose bleeds and I got chapped lips.
The busy streets are narrow and the crowds will commander the shaded side. Rome's ruins such as the Roman Forum has little shade. Keeping out of the sun isn’t always easy.



To make matters worse, I had to stay longer than was arranged due to a terrible mishap (covered in another article). I had packed enough clothes for a week.

This is how I Survived the Heat of Rome in August.

There are plenty of water fountains in Rome. The water is safe to drink. All you need is a bottle and keep filling whenever you can. Water sellers mill around tourist sites. You don’t need to buy water in Rome.
I kept my bottle in my side pocket where the cool water offered relief against my thigh. It was also handy for quick sips.

(Read all my articles on Rome on my Rome a Survival Kit)

Cure Chapped Lips

Even after drinking liters of water and plying on the sun cream, my lips got chapped. To help with this, whenever I took gulps of my water, I would apply a little lipstick. Mine was everyday lipstick from Boots that I kept in my side pocket. So I will swig the water and apply the lipstick. Lip-sil or Vaseline can be used otherwise. My chapped lips were gone within a day.
My daughter’s nose bleeds eased when she kept drinking water and having frequent rests.
When caught out, we could sit on one of the beautiful churches in Rome. They are dark, quiet and relatively tourist-free. Some have beautiful frescoes and altarpieces. Ones worth visiting are:

Churches in Rome
San Giovanni in Laterano
San Paulo Fuori le Mura
San Clemente
San Petro in Vincoli
Church of San Marcello al Corso
The Church of San Luigi Dei Francesi
Church of Sant’ Agnese in Agone
Parrocchia S. Maria in Portico in Campitelli
The Gesu
Sant’ Ignazio (near the Gesu)
Church of St Ignatuis of Loyola
Read about these lovely churches in Rome on my other articles.

Keep Clean in Sweltering Heat in Rome

For reasons explained in another article, we had to stay ten days in Rome instead of seven. After running out of clothes to wear, I would place my blouses and underwear in the shower basin while I washed. I will then let the soap cascade over them as I washed and wring them out when done.
I had no pegs to drape my clothes, so I used socks. I hung my wet clothes on the hotel balcony and by morning, they were dry and fresh.
So I was able to keep clean beyond the stay planned at my hotel in Rome.

Lessons Learnt

Keep your water bottle filled in Rome from any water fountain.
Apply a little lipstick or Vaseline after drinking the water to prevent chapped lips
Wash your used clothes in the shower basin at the end of the day and drape on the hotel balcony via socks.
Sunhat, sunglasses and sun cream are a given!
A quiet church is a good place to take shade on a hot day to admire the beautiful paintings and frescoes.
Read all my articles on Rome on my Rome a Survival Kit

The Roman Forum has little shade
Rome has plenty of water fountains
Church of San Marcello al Corso
The blistering skyline of Rome
Keep your clothes fresh in Rome